Mar. 18th, 2010

lizzybennet: (Default)
After reading [ profile] mortuus's entry, I'm reminded that I too had a recent fire scare.

Because I have a very small kitchen in this crappy house, I often store things on the stove top. No room in the cabinets or counter tops (this is especially true when Chris' dad brings over groceries. He believes a person can never have too much food in their house, even when there is literally no where to keep said food.)

Last night I put a pot of water on to boil and left the kitchen. A few minutes later, Petey started yelling, "Fire! Fire!" I ran into the kitchen and it turns out that I didn't turn on the burner under the pot, but instead turned on the back burner which had a loaf of french bread with a loaf of regular bread stacked on it. Flames! The paper bag of the french bread was burning merrily along. I stood there for a moment, hemming and hawing as what to do. Chris saved the day by grabbing a dishtowel and beating the flames out. There was no damage, but it was quite exciting for a few minutes there. Glad to know the fire alarm is so effective. It wouldn't quit going off, even when we removed the battery. The only lasting mark left by the incident is a bit of charred bread on the burner. I'll scrub that clean later today.

It reminded me of a time when I was in kindergarten. We had a babysitter and my parents told her we could have popcorn. We didn't have an air popper back then so the sitter had to use hot oil in a pot. The oil caught on fire. She put pot in the sink and turned on the water. Naturally, the fire got much bigger. I ran upstairs and hid in the bathroom, sitting on the toilet. Always a good idea to run upstairs when there is a fire in the kitchen, right? No damage from that incident either.

Lesson learned: no more storing things on the stove top.


lizzybennet: (Default)

April 2011

3456 789

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 26th, 2017 04:27 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios